Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Incomparable Joy: Philippians 3:7-14 (NASB)

I have been chewing on Philippians 3:7-12 (here adding 13-14) for a few days now and see that it fits well with our blog's name, "Incomparable Joy." After listing several personal aspects about himself of which he could have easily boasted if he so chose, Paul emphatically went on to say that there is nothing better in this life than Christ and knowing Him:

7 But whatever things were gain to me, 
those things I have counted as loss
for the sake of Christ. 

8 More than that, 
I count all things to be loss
in view of the surpassing value
of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord,
for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, 
and count them but rubbish
so that I may gain Christ, 
9 and may be found in Him,
not having a righteousness of my own
derived from the Law,
but that which is through faith in Christ,
the righteousness which comes from God
on the basis of faith, 
10 that I may know Him
and the power of His resurrection
and the fellowship of His sufferings,
being conformed to His death; 
11 in order that I may attain
to the resurrection from the dead.

12 Not that I have already obtained it
or have already become perfect,
but I press on 
so that I may lay hold
of that for which also I was laid hold of
by Christ Jesus. 

13 Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet;
but one thing I do: 
forgetting what lies behind
and reaching forward to what lies ahead, 
14 I press on
toward the goal
for the prize of the upward call of God
in Christ Jesus. 

Lord Jesus, may we deep-down get what our brother Paul wrote here to the Philippian believers under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. May we be able to say this with all our hearts as he was able to said it with all of us. May we truly find incomparable joy in knowing and serving You, Lord, above all else and anyone else - including ourselves! We love You and need You to help us. THANK YOU! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment